Sunday 1 June 2014

Carrot Cake and Lemon Cupcakes

Over half term I managed two more recipes from the Hummingbird Bakery book.


The first was the carrot cake, for which I have heard rave reviews. It was delicious, but VERY sweet. The sort of cake that can't do without an accompanying cup of tea or coffee.


The second was the lemon cupcakes. The recipe suggested 12 american-sized cupcakes, but since I was feeding small people I went for English fairy-cake size, and the mix made 21. These were delicious; not strongly flavoured, but freshly lemony.


We packed them up with the brewing-up kit and headed off to the Ickworth Wool Fair. We saw some of these being sheared:


The small people loved these guys:




There were some lovely exhibits, including these rare breed fleeces


While I was enjoying the yarn produced by these enthusiastic new and local dyers I bumped into Joanne from Not So Granny. To be honest, I think I weirded her out! The things these celebs have to put up with...


Look at those colours, by the way. That green? To dye for!


Ok, I confess, I broke my stash diet. I bought this single skein of 4ply spun from the fleeces of the flock at a nearby National Trust property. I've been trying to get hold of this since we started going there, and this is probably my last chance. More on that later...


While I was photographing it in the garden I noticed that while we have been rushed off our feet the garden has come into its beautiful summer plumage without us. It's a bit of a reminder to me to slow down and savour the seasons. Spring has gone so fast for me this year, and with it Bob's babyhood. He is four and a half months old now, and in to everything. Sausages is so grown up, and played so well with his friends at the fair in a way he couldn't manage just six months ago. He will be four in just three months. Four seems awfully grown up!


I hope you had a great bank holiday, or weekend. Fancy some cake? Do pop over, there's plenty here!

E

No comments:

Post a Comment