Wednesday 20 November 2013

Yarn Along

Joining in with Ginny...this week I am mostly reading in preparation for the new baby. Sausages and I (and Husband!) had quite a breastfeeding journey after his premature birth, and although I looked at biological nurturing online at the time it has been wonderful to sit down and read the book in a concentrated yet leisurely fashion. I really enjoyed it! Although it is basically a write up of Suzanne Colson's research, and the style of the book reflects this, it is a wonderful resource for any breastfeeding family. So much of it resonates strongly with me in terms of what I went through with Sausages, and I feel forearmed for 'Madge's arrival. I actually got to borrow this book from the fabulous collection available at our local children's centre. Sadly the children's centre has lost most of it's breastfeeding support, but their library is looking increasingly open to gentle and attachment parenting. I suspect that their rather lovely administrator has been ordering books she might read herself. I might pop in and hide the Gina Ford!


The arrival of my order of Daiper Free ironically coincided with a massive influx of nappies into my life! Sausages was cloth nappied alongside a bit of elimination communication from birth to eighteen months old, when we just abandoned nappies. About a year later he decided to stop wearing one at night. There was no potty-training for us, just a natural realisation that nappies were no longer necessary, and a move towards greater self-reliance for his toileting. In the last year I lost my cloth nappy stash in a house move, replaced it for 'Madge, and managed to recover the original stash from our former land lords. The result of this chain of events is that we now have the most enormous stash of delicious soft white cloth nappies. I can sit and admire them...when I'm not reading about how I don't need them! Again, this is an exercise for me in being a bit more informed about something we followed naturally and without research the first time around. Again, a lot of it resonates with what we did without thinking about it.


On the knitting front I whipped up a pair of mittens for Sausages. He chose the yarn from the stash. He got out the ball winder and made two lovely centre-pull balls so I could knit them two at a time. I knitted them up, with a pattern I have used before, during his swimming lesson. He won't wear them because they are not green. 'Nuff said about that, really.


This is the start of my Christmas knitting! Not very festive! It will be a shawl, and the yarn is soooo soft that I have quite high hopes! I find it necessary to have a small project like a shawl or mittens on the go alongside the big projects, and this jumper for Husband is probably my most epic project to date! A full, man-sized sweater! The scale is a bit daunting, and has given me chronic cast-on-itis, which I am trying to resist. And no, for anyone who saw me mention it in a former post, I haven't designed the front yet. Or finished the back. Will it get finished for the 13th of December? Not massively likely at this point! I shall persevere!


What are you crafting and reading this week? Or has nobody made it this far, put off by my crunchy parenting reading? It's all very lovely, I promise! I hope you all have a good week, and are much further into your Christmas crafting than me!

E

1 comment:

  1. I love c's mittens. Please please can I commission a pair of thick cream onea? I can't find a nice pair anywhere. X

    ReplyDelete