Sunday 5 May 2013

From baby steps to big, big steps

It's been a very busy day at the Bungalow, and it's not over yet! This morning I was feeling under the weather so I stayed at home while the boys went to Mass. I couldn't get back to sleep, so I popped onto facebook and launched my first adult knitting class and first two preschoolers' craft sessions! How efficient! The I had a little sleep of course! I also achieved not one...not two...but THREE finished knits today, all cast-off, made-up, and woven-in. Two of them were (drum-roll please) the two pink tops for Beth and Mo.


Nice, huh? I'm a sentimental old lady, and the idea of these two tiny ladies having something made with yarn that belonged to their great grandmother. They're cuties, and I might have to bribe their mamma into sending me a picture of them in the dresses. I also finished the tie for Sausages that I both began and abandoned last Saturday. It's a cutie! Now, what are my chances of persuading him to wear it to the wedding we're going to this Saturday? Hmmm...


It was a glorious day here, so we had lunch in the garden, and the boys did some serious gardening, including the all-important "driving around in tiny red car with seed packets in the boot!"




When I decided recently to make hot cross buns with my sourdough, I came across a lot of research about the benefits of using wild yeast over commercially produced dry yeasts. The buns were excellent, and I decided that we would try to use the starter for all yeast baking. Today I tried sourdough pizza. I didn't find an interesting recipe online, so I simply made it up like my regular bread but with one fewer rests. I topped mine with homemade tomato sauce, mozzarella, olives (Sausages' favourite!) and organic rocket from the veg box. While making them Sausages must have eaten twenty olives on the sly. He threw a mighty tantrum when I put them back in the cupboard. He cheered up when he got to eat the finished product though!



Well, now I feel exhausted just reading about my own day. I haven't discussed it much, but I am quite open about the fact that I have suffered rather unpleasant postnatal depression since Sausages was born, and I would not have believed last year that now I would be launching my own business and innovating with needles and starter, and all on a day when my tonsils are like tennis balls! Our world has turned around in the last couple of months, and I'm so pleased. How was your weekend? Do you do anything interesting with your starter?

E

No comments:

Post a Comment